Monday, October 26, 2009

Virtually hooked

I tried it. I liked it. I got hooked. I signed off.

I'm talking about the Facebook app World Cafe, which gets you playing at being a virtual chef in a virtual restaurant. All very fun until the pull towards that online spot becomes stronger than the pull out of doors for a walk in the sunshine. Then it's time to quit.

It reminded me oh so strongly of my brief affair with TV soap operas. Oh goodness - I got pulled into that maelstrom more than 20 years ago and found myself bereft at Friday's end when I would have to live with the cliffhanger of a plot (ok, that's a slight overstatement...story, then) until Monday afternoon. Could I do it? Would I make it?

Finally, a decent-paying job came along and saved me. Threw me into an entirely different (so very different?) maelstrom of pulls and pushes and plots and stories.

My online restaurant was fun while it lasted. But now it's closed. Reality 1.0...here I come!

1 comment:

Magi said...

ahhhhh.....I totally relate to this dilemma of yours, Amanda. A year ago, I killed my FaceBook account. (Although I've since learned that it never really goes away!) When I realized I was spending about 1-2 hours a day in that online space I was shocked. It was keeping me tied to my desk and my chair when I needed to be walking & cooking & cuddling with the people in my non-virtual home. I still remember the relief I felt when I hit DELETE ...

Now, wouldn't it be nice if we could share a cup of tea face-to-face this afternoon?

We can't because you're on the Prairies and I'm on the West Coast.

But we have THIS space ...... hmmm.....